Prep Time- 15 MINUTES
Cook Time –30 HOURS
Field-to-table freshness tucked into a warm tortilla and garnished with a little green spice.
- 1 Pound venison backstrap steaks
- 2 Tablespoon Traeger Prime Rib Rub
- 1/2 Pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed
- 2 Clove garlic
- 1 Medium yellow onion
- 3 Anaheim chiles
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To Taste Kosher salt
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 Cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the venison steaks with the Traeger Prime Rib Rub and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 225℉ and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke, if available.
- Insert the probe into the center of a venison steak. Place the steaks directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 110℉, 30-45 minutes.
- While steaks are smoking, make the salsa verde: Preheat the oven to 450℉.
- Arrange the tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic, onion, and Anaheim chiles on a baking sheet. Roast until lightly browned.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender and add the lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Purée until smooth.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and increase the temperature to 450℉. Preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Return the steaks to the grill and re-insert the probe. Sear until the internal temperature reaches 130°F for medium-rare, or your desired temperature, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the steaks from grill and let rest for 10 minutes (the internal temperature will continue to rise to 135℉).
- To assemble the tacos, slice the venison steaks against the grain, then transfer to the tortillas and top with the salsa verde, avocado, queso fresco, and cilantro.